BE PATIENT WITH YOURSELF....A MUST-READ PIECE BY ONE OF NEMERULEZ BLOG LOVERS, J'ODIE (SINGER , SONG WRITER)


Once upon a time, I and my dad were seeing a movie and he
highlighted something quite funny, but true. He said, "These
actors just
wake up and fight all day - they don't even shower, eat, work,
pay bills, but fight: worst of all, they almost never get tired."
That is a typical description of an average "action film".
Unrealistic as it is, many of us subconsciously have such
superhuman
expectations of others and even ourselves. We do not look
forward to planting, yet we want a bountiful harvest and we
want it
immediately too. Most people hate to toil, but want to be
celebrated. I must confess: I am one of them. I think it is too
early to claim
the expression "was one of them" on this issue, since I am still
un-learning this rather unfulfilling lifestyle. But this is not
just about
learning to love the work part of harvest, it is about learning
to have healthy expectations of one's self and others.
This takes me back to when I was a freshman in the university.
I admired those who knew how to type without looking at the
keyboard. I wanted to know how to do it, so I made a few
enquiries and found out I could learn from home with just a
training CD
and, of course, a laptop or PC. A friend gave me a trial version
of the training program on CD and I told myself I was going to
make
the very best of it.
Then the journey began: I remember starting with only
characters on the mid-row: 'a', 's', 'd', 'f', ';', 'l', 'k', 'j' - in
that order and with
specific fingers meant for each. It was a program and I was
willing to follow through. I practised the exercise for the period
I was
meant to do so. Then gradually, two more letters were
introduced and more were added in bits and bits, which took a
lot of time.
Honestly, I did not "feel" like I was learning anything. I
wanted to know how to type very fast and accurately and I
wanted it to
happen NOW (at that time). But whenever I had the urge to
skip and run ahead of the program, I reminded myself that I
wanted to
learn the skill properly and once learnt, it would be a valuable
skill that would have come to stay. So, I patiently followed
through,
even though I did not exactly enjoy the rather unseen progress.
One day, it struck me - I had made progress! I had started
typing a few words on average speed and that's when I
realised I had
been making progress each time I practised, even though I did
not feel it. This encouraged me to stick to the program much
more.
My little dream came through - at last. But since I used a trial
version, I did not learn all I would have - if I had used a full
version,
such as mastering the numerals... but that is a story for
another day ;)
I was patient with myself and learnt how to type properly,
after being diligent, in my own time.
It is true that some people have faster learning abilities, but
I'm sure there are some things you catch up faster than those
people
you secretly admit are more "intelligent" than you. How do you
even know they are more intelligent or efficient than you?
Sometimes,
our deductions are not accurate, so let us just focus on
OURSELVES. We have to always remind ourselves that we are
not competing
with anyone. While it is good to be inspired, learn how to draw
the line between "being inspired" and "being envious". If
inspiration is
a mango seed, when planted, it will grow into a mango tree,
then yield mango fruits in its season - no one will mistake it
for a corn
plant. And if envy is a corn seed...
Great things start small - so does great evils. Let's be wary of
what we plant in our hearts, so that we would enjoy its fruits in
the
end.
Though life seems to be more fast paced than ever before,
patience is still a virtue. Its tree yields healthy fruits on the
long run and it
lasts and lasts and lasts!

Insta/twitter handle: @JodieGreat

Comments

PEACE said…
Thanks for this inspiring truth i 'll definitely take it to heart
Laura Nwodo said…
This is Beyond Beautiful! Wow. Thank U my dear Neme. X

Popular posts from this blog

WORD FOR THE DAY

WORD FOR THE DAY

DO IT DIFFERENTLY THIS TIME/LET THE SPARK OUT!