Friday, 29 January 2016

THE BIG MISTAKE ABOUT ASSUMPTION!

They say that assumption is the mother of all mistakes. 
How many times have you assumed something and it turned out to be true? Hardly. I want to urge us to learn to be "double sure"( borrowing my sister's words) about any situation. 

Assumption has led a lot of people into regrettable and irreversible mistakes. As hurting as you may be feeling, do yourself the good of being a little more patient to verify before you draw conclusions and do something terrible, that you will live the rest of your life regretting you'd done better.

On a lighter note, let me share a true life story with you, on why you should never assume. 

Few years ago, I got a job in an engineering firm and my take home was a good one. I was also given an official car and a driver. On my first day at work, I was out and about with the driver. So with so much excitement, I called my mom and was telling her how happy and excited I was, and how I was cruising the whole town with a brand new official car and a driver. We cracked jokes in my dialect and said a lot of things. Because the driver was from the north, I totally assumed that he could never understand all that I said. 

Days later, when I was rushing to meet up with an appointment, without given the driver any notice that I was on my way to the car, I bumped into him making a call and he spoke my dialect all through the conversion.   I was shocked to my bones! Lolls. I asked him how he learnt my dialect, he said his wife thought him. I could see the look on his face that day, like, "oh you thought I did not understand everything you said that day."

The good thing was that I never said anything ill about the driver or anybody in the company or anybody at all. I was just excited and joyful about my new job and all the mouth watery benefits. I learnt a very big lesson from that day. I not only stopped assuming, I became more careful. 

No comments: